English Language tests- TOEFL and IELTS
All University-level students in Singapore must be able to demonstrate their abilities in English. The students must pass one of the following tests in order to get into the Singaporean institution:
TOEFL- Test of English as a Foreign Language
The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), designed by ETS, is an internationally recognized and globally standardized English language test that evaluates English Language Proficiency of the applicant’s who wants to pursue their education in Singapore. For undergraduate, score of 80 and for postgraduate, score of 90 is generally required for admittance in Singapore Institutes. A TOEFL score is valid for two years.
TOEFL Internet based (iBT)
The TOEFL iBT is a four-hour test and measures your skills to understand and use English at the level necessary for university studies and to perform academic tasks. It measures your knowledge in four areas: reading, listening, speaking and writing.
- Section 1: Reading- The reading section has 3 or 4 passages and 36-56 questions in total. The time limit for this section is 60-80 minutes. This section assesses your ability to read and understand the passages in English.
- Section 2: Listening- This section requires you to listen to classroom discussions, lectures and then answer questions based on them. It has 34-51 questions and the duration is 60-90 minutes.
- Section 3: Speaking- This section requires you to state your views, communicate your thoughts on a particular topic clearly and effectively. There are 6 tasks assigned in this section and 20 minutes are given to complete those tasks.
- Section 4: Writing- You need to write an essay based on reading and listening section tasks. This section tests your ability to plan, write and convey relevant information in an essay format. There are two tasks and 50 minutes are given to finish those tasks.
Registration for the TOEFL iBT (Internet-Based Test)
- Step 1: Register at www.ets.org/toefl
- Step 2: Enter all the details as asked on the registration form.
- Step 3: Pay the fees. Pay with a credit/debit card.
The TOEFL fee varies from year to year. Check the official website for payment details and there is an additional fee being charged for rescheduling and cancellation of TOEFL exam.
Scoring and Results
TOEFL iBT Internet Based Test Score
The TOEFL iBT is scored on a scale of 0 to 120 points. You receive a score from 0 to 30 in each of the four TOEFL test sections, i.e. Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Your total TOEFL score is the sum of the scores from the four sections. In addition to the scores, the applicant will also receive an official score record that includes your performance feedback at all the levels/tasks. The TOEFL iBT test score is valid for two years but the test can be taken as many times as you desire.
Special Arrangements/ Accommodation
For Special test arrangements/ accommodation, the candidate must register online by mail and fill out a registration form. These special sittings as a result of medical conditions or disabilities are made available only if the candidate provides the evidence to support the request.
IELTS- International English Language Testing System
The IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is an internationally recognized standardized English language test designed to assess the English language ability of the applicants who want to study in Singapore. For undergraduate, a minimum score of 6.5 and for postgraduate a score of 7.5 is required for admission to Singapore Institutes.
The IELTS has two modules addressing two different target groups: The ‘Academic Training-Module’ is primarily designed for study at undergraduate or postgraduate degree level, whereas the ‘General Training-Module’ predominantly addresses employed people who plan a stay-abroad or students who want to complete their secondary education.
The IELTS consists of four parts: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. The IELTS test is for 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Listening: The Listening part consists of four audio clips that the applicant must listen to and answer questions about.
- Reading: The Reading section consists of three passages. The applicants are required to read and understand the passage and answer the questions asked. You will be required to identify attitudes and perceptions, main theme and relevant information or to complete a diagram.
- Writing: The Writing section consists of 2 tasks. The applicant is asked to compose a descriptive report of a table or diagram about 150 words and write an essay in response to a statement given, about 250 words.
: 60 minutes
- Speaking: The Speaking section consists of a face-to-face interview between the candidate and the examiner. It requires the applicant to speak fluently, be grammatically correct, and communicate their opinions and ideas effectively and understandably.
Scoring and Results
You will get a score based on each of the four parts, i.e. Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking, on a scale of 1 – 9. You will also be awarded an overall band score based on the average of all 4 parts. The scores will be given in a Test Report Form and received via post only. The test Report Form is valid for two years from the date you took the test.
The IELTS 9-band scale
Band score Skill level
Band 9 Expert user
Band 8 Very good user
Band 7 Good user
Band 6 Competent user
Band 5 Modest user
Band 4 Limited user
Band 3 Extremely limited user
Band 2 Intermittent user
Band 1 Non-user
You can register online at IELTS Website
. Complete the IELTS Application form by entering all the required details and attach an identification proof. Send or upload a clear photocopy of your ID and a signed print-out of your application summary to the relevant centre to arrive by the registration deadline for the chosen test centre at the latest. Then pay the fees. You will receive an invoice via email after you have registered online. Acceptable forms of payment are by Credit Card, i.e. Visa or MasterCard, or by bank transfer. After the payment of fees, you’ll receive a summary email which you need to print out and sign. Send the proof of payment and other required documentation by post no later than 3 days after submitting the on-line application form.
IELTS Examination Fees
The IELTS fee varies from year to year. Check the official website for payment and other necessary details.
For Special test arrangements/ accommodation, the candidate must seek permission. These special sittings as a result of medical conditions or disabilities are made available only if the candidate provides the evidence to support the request.