Scholarships for Singaporean and International Students
Singapore is an impassioned promoter of quality education and believes in fuelling the emerging leaders by imparting knowledge and helps add to worldwide development. There are many scholarships provided by the Singapore government, individual educational institutions, and other organizations that target specific fields of study or students from various regions of the globe.
Eligibility Criteria for a Scholarship
Most of the Scholarships are based on merit or monetary requirement while many depend on the nationality of the applicant as well. However, each scholarship program has different requirements so the applicant must go through them carefully and apply before time. Some common eligibility criteria that most scholarship programs require are as follows:
- The student must have completed 12 years of study with a sound academic record over the years, if applying for a higher level of study.
- The student should possess a great co-curricular activities record. Good reviews from teachers at previous institutes/college and excellent Statement of Purpose explaining your career path after the program will also be an added advantage for receiving a scholarship.
- Experience in the corporate sector/or any other sector will likewise help you procure a position in the program.
- A good TOEFL/IELTS scores are also mandatory to get Scholarships.
Dates and Deadlines
The deadline for applying depends on the individual scholarship programme.
Scholarships Available to International and Singapore Students
The ASEAN Undergraduate Scholarship is a freshmen scholarship offered to support outstanding students from the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) member countries. ASEAN Scholarships cover the tuition fee, living expenses per academic year on condition that the scholarship holder maintains a record of excellent academic performance and conduct satisfactory to the University.
- Eligibility: Applicant must be citizens of an ASEAN member country, excluding Singapore, with an outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' level, Local Polytechnic Diploma, NUS High School Diploma, IB Diploma or Year 12 equivalent qualification and also should possess excellent co-curricular records with strong leadership qualities.
SIA Youth Scholarship
Singapore Government awards scholarships to government endorsed students from member countries of ASEAN. This scholarship is available for undergraduate courses at NUS, NTU and SMU on the basis of academic merit and is available through open competition. All fields of study are open for SIA Youth scholarship except Medicine and Dentistry. Scholarship will cover tuition fee, living allowance, and accommodation allowance.
- Eligibility: The applicant must be a Citizen of an ASEAN country (except Singapore) with first-class academic records and good command over English. Also, the applicant should meet the requirements of NUS, NTU and SMU.
A* STAR Youth Scholarship
The A* STAR Youth Scholarship is available to graduates from NTU, NUS or top overseas universities. Research in Engineering and Sciences are included in this scholarship. It provides Support for up to four years of Ph.D. studies.
- Eligibility: The applicant must be a graduate with 1st Class Honours or 2nd Upper Honours and good 'A' Level result or polytechnic diploma with merit. Besides, the applicant must possess a good GRE score for PhD studies.
SIA-NOL Undergraduate Scholarship
The Singapore Airlines-Neptune Orient Lines (SIA-NOL) scholarship program is a funding program for students looking for an undergraduate degree in the field of computer science and technology, engineering and Science. The scholarship is available to Indian students only and covers tuition, accommodation, travel expenses. The student is likewise demanded to sign a bond of 6 years with a Singapore registered company or the sponsor of the scholarship.
The Khoo Teck Puat Scholarship
The Khoo Teck Puat Scholarship is supported by the Khoo Teck Puat Education Fund. The scholarship is for students who are from financially weak background and have done well academically to pursue their undergraduate studies in NTU and NUS.
- Eligibility: Singapore Citizens, Citizens of PRC or Singapore Permanent Residents with PRC Citizenship who possess outstanding Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' level, Local Polytechnic Diploma, NUS High School Diploma, IB Diploma or Year 12 equivalent qualifications (National College Entrance Exam (NCEE) or Gao Kao) and excellent co-curricular records are eligible for this scholarship. Also, the gross monthly household per capita income (PCI) of S$750 and below students is eligible.
Foreign Students Endowed Scholarships
The Foreign Students Endowed Scholarship program is proposed by Singapore Institute of Management (SMU) to students performing well at their undergraduate levels and shall cover tuition fees for a whole course study at SMU.
Nationality of Applicant: Asians
Singapore Millennium Foundation Scholarship
The Singapore Millennium Foundation Scholarship is granted to international students based on their academic record as well as their research work. This is a private Singapore based organization providing scholarships to post-graduate and post-doctoral students involved in field of research.
J.N Tata Endowment for Higher Studies
The J.N. Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians is a scholarship program offered by Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and allied trust (India). The scholarship offers financial assistance to Indian students and funds their master’s and doctoral research programs. A loan amount that can append up to 4, 00,000 INR is the maximum amount that they offer.
- Eligibility: The applicant must be an Indian national only. Graduates of a recognized Indian University, with a consistently good academic record or students in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting final year results are eligible for this scholarship. Also, academicians and other mid-career professionals, up to the age of 45 years, with experience in their fields, who want to go for further specialization, are eligible.
Singapore Cooperation Programme (SCP) Scholarship
The Singapore Scholarship is for citizens of ASEAN member countries except Singapore and covers full tuition fees, living allowance, and accommodation allowance based on the room rates at each university.
- Eligibility: Candidates must be from ASEAN member countries except Singapore and must possess an excellent academic record, a good command of English and meet the entrance requirements for NTU, NUS and SMU.
The Nanyang Scholarship, NTU’s foremost undergraduate scholarships are granted to outstanding freshmen pursuing undergraduate programs. The scholarship covers tuition, accommodation, food, study materials and travel allowance.
- Nationality of Applicants: All nationalities
- Eligibility: The scholarship is open to all nationalities. The applicant must possess excellent Singapore-Cambridge GCE 'A' level, Local Polytechnic Diploma, NUS High School Diploma, IB Diploma or Year 12 equivalent qualifications with outstanding co-curricular records.
Scholarships Offered by External Organisation
Applicants should submit applications to the external organization to be considered for the following scholarship.
Dr Goh Keng Swee Scholarship (GKS)
The Dr Goh Keng Swee (GKS) Scholarship is a private sector scholarship administered by the Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS) and awarded to outstanding students from Asia Pacific economies. The scholarship supports a maximum of 4 years of undergraduate study including Honours and covers tuition fee, airfare, and hostel allowances.
- Nationality of Applicants: Citizens of Asia Pacific
- Eligibility: The Dr GKS Scholarship is open to students who are citizens/passport holders of Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, PRC, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and Myanmar. Singapore citizens and PRs are not eligible to apply for the Dr GKS Scholarship.Applicants should apply for admission to NUS, NTU, SMU or SUTD and adhere to the university’s admission deadlines and guidelines. Most courses will be considered except Medicine. Applicants should possess good academic and co-curricular records.
Kuok Foundation Undergraduate Awards
The Kuok Foundation Award supports full time undergraduate studies.
- Eligibility: Students with outstanding academic achievements, strong leadership qualities and dynamic participation in extra-curricular activities are eligible for this award.
JTC grants scholarships for outstanding individuals to study at reputable universities in Singapore. The courses of study include: Accountancy, Business/ Economics, Engineering, Facilities Management, Human Resources, Land Surveying, Mass Communications, Real Estate, Quantity Surveying and Urban Planning/ Design. It covers tuition fee, hostel fee and annual maintenance allowance.
- Nationality: All Nationalities
- Eligibility: The applicant must hold an excellent GCE O-level and A-level results, or equivalent, an outstanding co-curricular activities record and exhibit a solid leadership qualities.